Thursday 28 January 2016

Was it Love ???

His diary read,

"This incident happened some years ago and till date, I haven't been able to decide if it was love or something else. Till now I cannot ensure if we loved each other or not. I do hope to find an answer to this pretty soon.

Studying together for the majority of our schooling, we had become the best of friends. She knew me and my family and I knew hers. We shared everything on a daily basis. Everything that happened at home would become the topic for us to talk about the next day.

This went on for years till we reached 10th standard. The kind of pressure we had on ourselves during those days was more than what we could handle. All this had an effect on our long lasting "friendship". Our talks had been reduced to an hour a day. We were busy with our studies that we forgot to share the little things that happened at our homes. Both of us could feel distance growing between us but didn't have the courage to compromise on our board exam preparation. 

Soon our study leaves commenced which also meant we couldn't even see each other for a few days. It was during this time that I realized how much I missed her. I was not able to meet the rest of my friends, but I was missing her a lot more than others. Board exams started and ended in a flash. After the last exam, I told her what I had been feeling, expecting her to make fun of me. Her reply was a smile. That smile which blew me away. It took about a week for the effect of that smile to wear off. 

We joined the same school for our final two years of schooling. By this time, we had started feeling special about each other. We had a world of our own, where even our best friends didn't have a place. We had our own secrets, which were never meant to be shared with our friends. Those days seemed like a dream for both of us. We had never expected life to be so beautiful. Never thought we both could mean so much to each other.

Those days had to come to an end and it happened faster than we expected. Our life in school came to an end and along with it came an end to our happy times. 12th was another year of even more responsibilities. Both of us managed to clear our exams happily. For once, we wished if everything could remain as it is. But no, time moves on.

It was the time for the biggest decision of our life, our graduation. For her, it was being a doctor and I wanted to study literature. We didn't wish to interfere in each other's choice. We left school promising to keep in touch with each other, but knowing that it was not gonna last for long.

We hadn't thought much about the future, but we were in love. That immature kind of love which couldn't be nurtured beyond a certain level. That immature kind of love, which made us make weak promises to each other. That kind of love, which was meant to wither away with time.

After all these years, today when I was reciting Robert Frost to my class which included her son, I wondered if it really was love."

No comments:

Post a Comment